Inspiration Wednesday - Embrace the Mess

You made it to hump day! Yay! This is Rachel Kleinman on the Unity blog today to share a spring-inspired art journal page. I also have a photo tutorial so you can try one yourself!


I can't believe it's taken me so long to finally ink up that Donna Downey "You are Important" flower! It's stunning! AND it's on super sale right now so get going!


First things first, I gesso'd the entire page and let it dry. Then I did a wash of paint using Distress Paint in "Mustard Seed" and "Tumbled Glass". I started with the Mustard Seed paint on the top, spritzed heavily with water, then pulled the paint down the page and let it dry. I did the same with Tumbled Glass, but I started from the bottom of the page and pulled the paint up. Then I did a random coating of Resin Sand (Liquitex) to add some texture.


Now I stamped the large flower in archival black ink. I also stamped two more flowers separately on a piece of deli paper (you can use tissue paper) and set those aside for later. I painted the inside of the flowers white. Then I stamped around the page with Donna Downey "Hollyhocks" stamp and the Donna Downey "Stenciled and Deconstructed" stamp.


I fussy cut the flowers that I stamped on the deli paper and adhered them on top of the original stamps. The flowers really pop off the page now with the crisp outline and white background!


Finally I did some very light coloring inside the flower with Faber Castell Stampers Big Brush Pens, again in a yellow and light blue color. Then I added washi tape and my page was finished!






I hope you've been inspired to get messy with your Unity stamps and play in your journal! 
Thanks for joining me :)


Labels: , , , ,